His owner was John Gray, a night watchman, who died and was buried in Greyfriars Kirkyard in 1858.
Bobby spent his days sitting on his master’s grave, leaving only on hearing the one o’clock gun when he would visit a local coffee shop where they would feed him his lunch.
In 1867 a new bye-law was passed requiring all dogs to be licensed.
The Lord Provost of Edinburgh, Sir William Chambers paid for Bobby’s licence, and gave him a collar which can now be seen in the National Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh .
Bobby died in 1872 and was buried near John Gray’s grave just inside the gate of Greyfriars Kirkyard.
Following his death, Lady Burdett-Coutts had a…
View original post 34 more words